Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Happy (Work) Place



This is my new and improved home office.

I decided that since I'm going to be working from home all the time now, I need to have a space where I can stay motivated and focused and feel comfortable at the same time.  Originally when we moved into our place, I claimed the sunroom as my office.  Who cares if it's really cold in there in the winter since there is no heat?  I can just wear layers and buy a small room heater...Yeah, I ended up doing my work on the kitchen table in the heated dining room.  I even continued to do so once summer started because, surprise, it was too hot in the sunroom and there is no air conditioning in there either.

So I would work away at the kitchen table all the time and create piles of "important" papers that overtook our eating space.

Since I had grown used to working in the dining room, I had this revelation:  What if I make the dining room my office?  Whoa!  I would have heat in the winter time and a space for my piles that is not our kitchen table!

All I had to do was move the kitchen table over to one side of the room and then I got my husband to help me carry this gajillion pound desk ($50 on craigslist) from the sunroom to the dining room and put it against the other wall.  Then I worked on organizing it and making it homey.

You can't see it in the picture, but there is a big ice cream scoop puzzle hanging on the wall above my desk.  The chair is an old thing from office depot that my mom nicely covered with floral fabric.  The fabric was originally meant for the cushions on our kitchen chairs, but my husband found it to be too girly for his bottom to rest upon.  The pencil holder is a Vera Bradley mug that my sister got me for my birthday one year, and it happens to match both the chair and the ice cream puzzle quite nicely.

In the second picture you can see that I made my office more personal and comfy with pictures of my favorite people.  Pictures of my family on the bulletin board, my husband in the frame, and my dog on the mouse pad.  All of these were ordered from snapfish.com.

I have worked in this space a few days now, and it is definitely an improvement over my original situation.  I'm looking forward to seeing if my productivity and eventually my paychecks start improving due to this new environment.    



No comments:

Post a Comment