Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Lots of Changes and Self-Publishing

It's been over a year since my last post.  I'm really good at this blogging thing, aren't I?

Maybe one day I'll actually be able to maintain this thing.  I always think about how cool it would be to have this blog that lots of people read, and to write great posts all the time.  And then for some reason I can only write one post a year...

Anyway, things have changed quite a bit since my last post.  I now live in Maine with my husband who transfered to the law school here in Portland, and we have a German Shepherd puppy named Archimedes (Archie for short).  I currently have two jobs, but I recently put in my two weeks notice at one of them.  Too stressful.

It's kind of funny how I was all unemployed during my last post a year ago, and since then I've had three different jobs.  I'll spare you the explanation.

So in about two weeks I will be working full time for Outskirts Press Inc. a self-publishing company.  I didn't really know what self-publishing was until I began working for Outskirts.  It's actually pretty cool.  If you write a book and want to avoid the frustrations of trying to get published by a big name publishing company, self-publishing is the way to go!  Especially if you are a new author that no one has ever heard of.

Outskirts Press has so many different options when it comes to publishing, it's almost impossible to not get what you want out of your experience with them.  You start out by choosing a package that will best suit your needs and then add on whatever else you might want.  They will also help you with your marketing efforts!

If I were to ever publish a book with Outskirts, I would choose the Diamond package for $999.  This package includes some great things such as a standard interior format based on industry standards for your book's genre, several different outlets for distribution including Spring Arbor Christian Distribution, and a free e-book format.

I would want my cover to be something special, so I would go with the Custom Cover option for $299 with the Diamond package.  With this option, I can give the cover designer my ideas for the cover and they will create two different concepts for me to choose from based on my ideas.  The result is a truly unique cover for my book.

Another thing to consider purchasing is editing, especially if you didn't have someone else edit the manuscript already.  This costs 1.4 cents per word.  It can be pricey if you have a lot of words, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen author's spend a lot of money on edits after they review their proofs because they didn't edit it before hand.

So that's my speil on Outskirts Press.  If you're interested, click here.

You can also check out the CEO's blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment